National Solo Jazz Competition
Application Deadline: Feb 1, 2021Apply Here!
The American Trombone Workshop’s National Solo Jazz Competition is one of the most successful and popular jazz trombone competitions in the nation. This competition will provide valuable experience working through the competitive audition recording process. The winner will be featured during the one-day virtual 2021 American Trombone Workshop.
Your performance will be broadcast by the U.S. Army Band on YouTube and our Facebook page during the one-day virtual workshop. You can also access the performance through our Live Webcasts page. Schedule TBD.
GENERAL RULES & REQUIREMENTS
- Due to COVID-19 restrictions, there are two methods for submission for the ATW National Solo Jazz Competition 2021:
- You can perform live with a rhythm section (highly encouraged if possible)
- If you are selected as a winner, this video will be used as your performance space during our virtual event
- Should you not have access to a live rhythm section, you can submit yourself playing 3 selections with play-a-long recordings
- If you are selected as a winner, the Army Blues rhythm section will pre-record 3 selections of your choice for you to record with from home to be broadcast during our virtual event
- Live performance video recordings uploaded to YouTube are the only accepted form of submission for the American Trombone Workshop 2021. Competitors are asked to upload their full performance on a single video to their own YouTube accounts and send the links to the competition coordinator.
- Please treat the submission as a LIVE performance.
- Dress accordingly
- You are encouraged to introduce yourself, each tune, and band members (if applicable)
- You can record each tune separately if you wish but there is NO editing allowed during a single tune.
- The winner will be notified by email or phone.
Video recordings must be RECEIVED by February 1, 2021. Please remember that your submission will be received along with many others. Therefore, it is very important that you clearly and accurately include the following details in your email with your performance submission:
- School Affiliation (if any)
- Phone Number
- Email Address
Email video performance YouTube link no later than February 1, 2021 to the competition coordinator SFC Luke Brimhall.
- Division 1: ages 21 and under (by the date of the competition)
- Division 2: ages 22 - 29 (by the date of the competition)
- Proof of age (photocopy of driver’s license, visa, or birth certificate) must be provided with the application.