While The U.S. Army Band was overseas, a contingent of the Band remained at Ft. Myer and was known as the auxiliary band or the 366th Army Band. This ensemble was formed to perform for funerals in Arlington National Cemetery but served essentially as The Army Band in Washington while the main component was overseas. This included a wide variety of performances such as dances, concerts, broadcasts, parades, and funerals.
The Auxiliary Band
This band assumed responsibilities for funerals at Arlington National Cemetery in mid-late February of 1942. Prior to this, bands from the 12th Infantry and 3rd Cavalry were responsible for these duties. The establishment of the auxiliary band marks the beginning of the present day U.S. Army Ceremonial Band.