The U.S. Army Chorus
Baritone Vocalist and Soloist
Apply before: March 1, 2021
Audition date: May 18, 2021
In 1956, The U.S. Army Chorus was established as the vocal counterpart of The United States Army Band “Pershing’s Own,” and is one of the nation’s only professional men’s choruses. From its inception, The U.S. Army Chorus has established and maintained a reputation of excellence in the performance of male choral literature. Beyond the traditional military music and patriotic standards, the repertoire of the Army Chorus covers a broad spectrum which includes pop, Broadway, folk, and classical music.
The Army Chorus performs frequently at the White House, the Vice President’s Residence, the U.S. Capitol and the State Department. World leaders, such as former Presidents Nicolas Sarkozy of France, Lech Walesa of Poland, and Mikhail Gorbachev of the Soviet Union have been serenaded by the Army Chorus during state visits. In 2007, the group was featured at the State Dinner held in honor of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, and in 2008 at the State Arrival Ceremony for Pope Benedict XVI held on the south lawn of the White House.
Auditions will be held at Brucker Hall, home of The United States Army Band “Pershing’s Own” at 400 McNair Road, Fort Myer, Virginia 22211-1306.
Travel expenses for civilians will be paid for by The U.S. Army pending enlistment qualification and funding approval. Military personnel should refer to their respective units to request travel funding. The audition will include the performance of prepared excerpts and sight-reading.
To Apply for the Vacancy Please submit the following items:
- One Page Resume
- A high quality video recording of the following selections. Video selections should demonstrate applicant's range, versatility, and strength as a featured soloist:
- One Classical Aria or Art Song (not in English)
- One Contemporary of Musical Theatre Selection
- An unaccompanied rendition of the first verse of "The Star Spangled Banner" in the applicant's key of choice.
- Current military applicants must also include their Enlisted Records Brief, or equivalent, Commander's Letter of Intent to Release, and last two NCOERs if applicable.
Preferred Application File Formats:
- PDF Files for all documents
- Video recordings should be uploaded to YouTube using 'unlisted' links
- Each selection should be uploaded as a separate video file
- Either submit the unlisted link to each video, or the link to the full playlist containing all videos
- Please attach PDF documents to application email, and include the link(s) to videos in the body of the email
Live Audition Repertoire
An audition repertoire packet will be sent to those selected and invited to the live audiiton.
Contact an Audition Coordinator
Applicants with questions or concerns regarding the BARITONE VOCALIST AND SOLOIST vacancy may contact Master Sergeant Tim Sutfin.
The annual starting salary for Staff Sergeant equates to $67,836 without dependents and $70,320 with dependents
Full medical and dental coverage
30 days paid vacation annually
The Blended Retirement System allows you to immediately begin contributing to a retirement account, in addition to being eligible for a pension after 20 years of active duty service.
Earn full tuition for higher education through the Post 9/11 GI Bill. Also, tuition assistance is available for continuing education.
Members of “Pershing’s Own” are given the Military Occupational Specialty (MOS) of 42S (forty two sierra), “Special Band Musician”. Personnel are promoted to the rank of Staff Sergeant (E-6) two months after completion of Basic Combat Training.
Permanent duty assignment to Fort Myer, VA, located near the heart of Washington, DC
Learn More About Army Benefits
- The U.S. Army Band’s audition and hiring process values diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- All applicants must currently hold U.S. Citizenship
- Civilian applicants must be 34 years of age or younger at the time of the audition
- All applicants must meet the standard requirements for enlistment in the United States Army
- Vacancies are available to qualified civilians, and military personnel of the grade E-6 and below. Military applicants above the grade of E-6 and/or having more than 10 years time in service must contact the Auditions Coordinator prior to applying to confirm eligibility.
- All applicants invited to the live audition will be given instructions to complete Military Entrance Processing to ensure they meet enlistment requirements for the United States Army prior to attending the live audition. Travel expenses will be paid for by the United States Army pending enlistment qualification and funding approval.