The U.S. Army Ceremonial Band
Apply before: April 3, 2023
Audition date(s): April 17, 2023 - April 18, 2023
The United States Army Band “Pershing’s Own,” the U.S. Army’s premier musical organization, announces a vacancy for CLARINET with The U.S. Army Ceremonial Band.
Providing a musical backdrop for many of the nation’s most notable events, The U.S. Army Ceremonial Band has a worldwide reputation for extraordinary musicianship. The musicians in this elite ensemble have been trained at some of the most prestigious conservatories and universities in the country. The Ceremonial Band is comprised of 72 musicians whose principal function is the performance of funerals in Arlington National Cemetery and various other high-visibility ceremonial events in the National Capital region.
Ceremonial duties are primarily performed outdoors in ceremonial marching formations. The typical work schedule varies from day to day, but mainly consists of daytime work hours with an occasional night or weekend. There is some travel but it averages less than three weeks a year. Performances, in addition to those in Arlington National Cemetery, include White House and Pentagon arrival ceremonies, wreath laying ceremonies given in honor of visiting Heads of State and other dignitaries, and monthly military retirement ceremonies.
Ceremonial musicians substitute within other elements of The U.S. Army Band and have regular opportunities to perform on concerts, recitals, and as soloists.
Auditions will be held at Brucker Hall, home of The United States Army Band “Pershing’s Own” at 400 McNair Road, Fort Myer, Virginia 22211-1306.
There will be no pre-screening round for this audition. All applicants will be invited to attend the live audition, with the preliminary round taking place on April 17th, and semi-final and final rounds on April 18th. Travel expenses will be the responsibility of the applicant, and will not be paid for by The US Army.
All applicants must meet basic enlistment standards for The US Army including:
- Age 17-34 at the time of the audition
- Currently hold U.S. Citizenship
- Meet height/weight standards
- Meet medical, moral and physical requirements. If you have any pre-existing medical conditions, recent surgeries, or criminal history, please consult with your local Army Recruiter prior to applying to confirm enlistment eligibility.
Live Audition Repertoire
The full audition packet including all excerpts will be emailed to candidates who submit an application.
To Apply, Please Submit The Following:
- One Page Resume (PDF only), including your current email, home address, phone number and birthdate.
- Current military applicants must also include their Enlisted Records Brief or equivalent, Commander's Letter of Intent to Release, and last two NCOERs if applicable.
Please email application materials to Sergeant First Class Christopher Buckley.
Contact the Auditions Coordinator
Applicants with questions or concerns regarding the CEREMONIAL CLARINET audition may contact Sergeant First Class Christopher Buckley.
The annual starting salary for Staff Sergeant equates to $73,000 without dependents and $78,000 with dependents
Full medical and dental coverage
30 days paid vacation annually
The Blended Retirement System allows you to immediately begin contributing to a retirement account, in addition to being eligible for a pension after 20 years of active duty service.
Earn full tuition for higher education through the Post 9/11 GI Bill. Also, tuition assistance is available for continuing education.
Members of “Pershing’s Own” are given the Military Occupational Specialty (MOS) of 42S (forty two sierra), “Special Band Musician”. Personnel are promoted to the rank of Staff Sergeant (E-6) two months after completion of Basic Combat Training.
Permanent duty assignment to Fort Myer, VA, located near the heart of Washington, DC
Learn More About Army Benefits
- The U.S. Army Band’s audition and hiring process values diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- All applicants must currently hold U.S. Citizenship
- Civilian applicants must be 34 years of age or younger at the time of the audition
- All applicants must meet the standard requirements for enlistment in the United States Army