The U.S. Army Concert Band
Apply before: March 8, 2021
Audition date: May 17, 2021
The United States Army Band “Pershing’s Own,” the U.S. Army’s premier musical organization, announces a vacancy for CLARINET in The U.S. Army Concert Band.
Headquartered in Washington, DC, The U.S. Army Concert Band has performed in concert venues such as Lincoln Center’s Avery Fisher Hall, Carnegie Hall, the Kennedy Center, and Hollywood Bowl. Throughout the year the ensemble participates in ongoing educational outreach and often appears at national and international music events, including the Midwest Band and Orchestra Clinic, the National Association for Music Education, the Texas Bandmasters Association, and the American Bandmasters Association.
During the summer months, the Concert Band performs outdoor concerts on the West Steps of the U.S. Capitol and at venues throughout the Washington, DC area. Regular concerts are also performed throughout the year at The United States Army Band’s home, Brucker Hall, located on historic Fort Myer, in Arlington, Virginia. In support of international diplomacy efforts, the Concert Band has performed joint concerts with the Soviet Army, the Russian Navy, and the Ukrainian Navy bands, and has appeared in military tattoos in Scotland, Sweden, Holland, Norway, Australia, and Japan. The Concert Band’s 2011 and 2012 goodwill exchange concert tours with the Military Band of the People’s Liberation Army of China, entitled Friendship and Cooperation Through Music, is indicative of the importance these musical ambassadors play in matters of international diplomacy and strategic outreach.
Auditions will be held at Brucker Hall, home of The United States Army Band “Pershing’s Own” at 400 McNair Road, Fort Myer, Virginia 22211-1306.
Travel expenses for civilians will be paid for by The U.S. Army pending enlistment qualification and funding approval. Military personnel should refer to their respective units to request travel funding. The audition will include the performance of prepared excerpts and sight-reading.
To Apply For The Vacancy Please Submit The Following:
- One page Resume
- A high quality, unedited audio recording of the following excerpts:
- Mozart- Concerto Mvt 1, measures 57 to 98
- Brahms- Symphony No. 3 Mvt 2, measures 1 to 13
- Beethoven- Symphony No. 6 Mvt 2, measures 68 to 77
- Mendelssohn- Scherzo from "A Midsummer Night's Dream", measures 1 to 48
- Grainger- Lincolnshire Posy Mvt 4, measure 1 to 25
- Current military applicants must also include their Enlisted Records Brief, or equivalent, Commander's Letter of Intent to Release, and last two NCOERs if applicable.
Preferred Application File Formats
- PDF files only for all documents
- Audio files should be submitted as .mp3 or .wav only
- Each excerpt should be submitted as a separate audio file
- Upload audio files to a Google Drive or Dropbox folder and share the direct link in the body of application email
All application materials must be submitted electronically to the Assistant Auditions Coordinator, Sergeant First Class Christopher Buckley.
Live Audition Repertoire
An audition repertoire packet will be sent to those selected and invited to the live audition.
Contact an Audition Coordinator
Applications with questions or concerns regarding the CONCERT BAND CLARINET vacancy may contact Sergeant First Class Christopher Buckley.
The annual starting salary for Staff Sergeant equates to $67,836 without dependents and $70,320 with dependents
Full medical and dental coverage
30 days paid vacation annually
The Blended Retirement System allows you to immediately begin contributing to a retirement account, in addition to being eligible for a pension after 20 years of active duty service.
Earn full tuition for higher education through the Post 9/11 GI Bill. Also, tuition assistance is available for continuing education.
Members of “Pershing’s Own” are given the Military Occupational Specialty (MOS) of 42S (forty two sierra), “Special Band Musician”. Personnel are promoted to the rank of Staff Sergeant (E-6) two months after completion of Basic Combat Training.
Permanent duty assignment to Fort Myer, VA, located near the heart of Washington, DC
Learn More About Army Benefits
- The U.S. Army Band’s audition and hiring process values diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- All applicants must currently hold U.S. Citizenship
- Civilian applicants must be 34 years of age or younger at the time of the audition
- All applicants must meet the standard requirements for enlistment in the United States Army
- Vacancies are available to qualified civilians, and military personnel of the grade E-6 and below. Military applicants above the grade of E-6 and/or having more than 10 years time in service must contact the Auditions Coordinator prior to applying to confirm eligibility.
- All applicants invited to the live audition will be given instructions to complete Military Entrance Processing to ensure they meet enlistment requirements for the United States Army prior to attending the live audition. Travel expenses will be paid for by the United States Army pending enlistment qualification and funding approval.