The U.S. Army Blues
Jazz/Commercial Alto Vocalist
Apply before: January 17, 2023
Audition date(s): March 20, 2023 - March 21, 2023
The United States Army Band “Pershing’s Own” announces a vacancy for a JAZZ/COMMERCIAL ALTO VOCALIST with the Army’s premier jazz ensemble, The United States Army Blues. The U.S. Army Band “Pershing’s Own” is located 5 minutes from downtown Washington, D.C.
Main Duties include rehearsals and performances with The U.S. Army Blues (Jazz/Big Band), The Latin Music Ensemble, Swamp Romp (New Orleans) as well as The U.S. Army Band Downrange (Rock/Pop/R&B) and The U.S. Army Chorus as needed.
After informal beginnings in 1970, this 18-piece ensemble became an official element of the Army Band in 1972. Comprised of exceptional jazz musicians from across the nation, the Army Blues strive to fulfill their mission through public concerts, educational outreach, and the preservation of the tradition of America’s unique art form: jazz.
The Army Blues have performed at prestigious venues such as the Monterey Jazz Festival, the Montreux Jazz Festival, Birdland, Keystone Korner and Blues Alley. The band has shared the stage with jazz greats such as Dave Brubeck, Doc Severinsen, Stanley Turrentine, Slide Hampton, Dr. Billy Taylor, Kevin Mahogany, and Terell Stafford. The Army Blues perform at national conferences such as the Jazz Education Network annual conference, the International Trumpet Guild conference, the International Trombone Conference, and the Midwest Band Clinic. The musicians of the Army Blues perform at the White House, the Vice President’s Residence, the State Department, and for high-level military protocol and ceremonial events in the Washington Metropolitan Area. Learn more about The US Army Blues
The U.S. Army Blues is looking for singers who demonstrate the following:
· Musical versatility, demonstrating stylistic fluency in the genres outlined above
· Ability to connect with an audience
· Clear and consistent pitch
· Ability to sing in Spanish is not required but encouraged
In addition, all applicants must meet basic enlistment standards for the U.S. Army including:
· Age 17-34 at the time of the audition
· U.S. Citizen or other qualified resident
· Other medical and moral requirements. If you have any pre-existing medical conditions, recent surgeries, or criminal history, please consult with your local Army Recruiter prior to applying to confirm enlistment eligibility.
To Apply, Please Submit the Following
· One-page resume (PDF only), including your current email, home address, phone number, and birthdate.
· Current enlisted military applicants must also include their Enlisted Records Brief (or equivalent), Commander's Letter of Intent to Release, and last two NCOERs (if applicable.)
· For the pre-screening, include links to unedited video recordings of the listed repertoire
Charts and scratch tracks will be provided to all those that submit a resume
Please email application materials to Sergeant First Class Christopher Buckley.
All applicants should prepare the following materials for the pre-screening.
· Current Video Recordings of the following
o You’d Be So Nice to Come Home To-chart and scratch track provided
o Prelude to a Kiss - Ballad tempo-lead sheet and scratch track provided
o Gee Baby Ain’t I Good To You-chart and scratch track provided
o Don’t Start Now - Dua Lipa - record with backing track
o Candidate’s choice to showcase strengths
o The National Anthem, unaccompanied in the key of your choice (no embellishment)
Candidates who pass the pre-screen will be invited to the live audition held on MAR 20-21, 2023 at Brucker Hall, home of The United States Army Band “Pershing’s Own” at 400 McNair Road, Fort Myer, Virginia 22211-1306. Travel expenses will be paid by the U.S. Army for invited civilian candidates who pass the pre-screening round pending enlistment qualification and funding approval. Military personnel should refer to their respective units to request travel funding. The audition will include the performance of both solo and ensemble prepared excerpts and sight-reading.
Preferred Application Formats
· PDF files only for all documents
· Videos should be uploaded to a publicly accessible sharing site such as YouTube, and may be flagged as “unlisted” if desired
· Each excerpt should be submitted as a separate video link; creating a playlist of the excerpts is encouraged
Contact an Auditions Coordinator
Submit all application materials electronically and direct any questions or concerns to the Auditions Coordinator, Sergeant First Class Christopher Buckley
The annual starting salary for Staff Sergeant equates to $66, 899 without dependents and $74, 207 with dependents
Full medical and dental coverage
30 days paid vacation annually
The Blended Retirement System allows you to immediately begin contributing to a retirement account, in addition to being eligible for a pension after 20 years of active duty service.
Earn full tuition for higher education through the Post 9/11 GI Bill. Also, tuition assistance is available for continuing education.
Members of “Pershing’s Own” are given the Military Occupational Specialty (MOS) of 42S (forty two sierra), “Special Band Musician”. Personnel are promoted to the rank of Staff Sergeant (E-6) two months after completion of Basic Combat Training.
Permanent duty assignment to Fort Myer, VA, located near the heart of Washington, DC
Learn More About Army Benefits
- The U.S. Army Band’s audition and hiring process values diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- All applicants must currently hold U.S. Citizenship
- Civilian applicants must be 34 years of age or younger at the time of the audition
- All applicants must meet the standard requirements for enlistment in the United States Army
- Vacancies are available to qualified civilians, and military personnel of the grade E-6 and below. Military applicants above the grade of E-6 and/or having more than 10 years time in service must contact the Auditions Coordinator prior to applying to confirm eligibility.