The U.S. Army Blues
Lead Jazz Alto Saxophone
Apply before: June 10, 2021
Audition date: August 16, 2021
*Please note this audition will take place over two days on August 16-17, 2021*
The United States Army Band “Pershing’s Own” announces a vacancy for LEAD JAZZ ALTO SAXOPHONE with the Army’s premier jazz ensemble, The U.S. Army Blues.
The U.S. Army Blues, part of the United States Army Band “Pershing’s Own,” is the premier jazz ensemble of the United States Army. After informal beginnings in 1970, this 18-piece ensemble became an official element of the United States Army Band in 1972. Comprised of exceptional jazz musicians from across the nation, the Army Blues strive to fulfill their mission through public concerts, educational outreach, and the preservation of the tradition of America’s unique art form: jazz.
The Army Blues have performed at prestigious venues such as the Monterey Jazz Festival, the Montreux Jazz Festival, Birdland and Blues Alley in Washington, DC. The band has shared the stage with jazz greats such as Dave Brubeck, Doc Severinsen, Stanley Turrentine, Slide Hampton, Dr. Billy Taylor, Kevin Mahogany, and Terrell Stafford. The Army Blues perform at national conferences such as the Jazz Education Network annual conference, the International Trumpet Guild conference, the International Trombone Conference, and the Midwest Band Clinic. The musicians of the Army Blues perform at the White House, the Vice President’s Residence, the Department of State, and for high-level military protocol and ceremonial events in the Washington Metropolitan Area.
Main duties will include rehearsals and performances with The U.S. Army Blues (large jazz ensemble). Additional duties include playing in jazz combos, The U.S. Army Band Downrange (a 3 horn Pop/Funk/R&B popular music group), and The U.S. Army Ceremonial Band.
Auditions will be held at Brucker Hall, home of The United States Army Band “Pershing’s Own” at 400 McNair Road, Fort Myer, Virginia 22211-1306.
Travel expenses for invited civilian candidates will be paid for by The U.S. Army pending enlistment qualification and funding approval. Military personnel should refer to their respective units to request travel funding. The audition will include the performance of prepared excerpts and sight-reading.
To Apply For The Vacancy, Please Submit The Following:
- One Page Resume, including your email and phone number
- Current enlisted military applicants must also include their Enlisted Records Brief, or equivalent, Commander's Letter of Intent to Release, and last two NCOERs if applicable.
- A recent, high quality, unedited audio recording of the selections in the application packet:
Preferred Application File Formats
- PDF files only for all documents
- Audio files should be submitted as .mp3 or .wav only
- Each excerpt should be submitted as a separate audio file
- Upload audio files to a Google Drive or Dropbox folder and share the direct link in the body of application email
All application materials must be submitted electronically to the Auditions Coordinator, Master Sergeant Timothy Sutfin
Live Audition Repertoire
An audition repertoire packet will be sent to those selected and invited to the live audition.
Contact an Auditions Coordinator
Applicants with questions or concerns regarding the LEAD JAZZ ALTO SAXOPHONE audition may contact Master Sergeant Timothy Sutfin
The annual starting salary for Staff Sergeant equates to $67,836 without dependents and $70,320 with dependents
Full medical and dental coverage
30 days paid vacation annually
The Blended Retirement System allows you to immediately begin contributing to a retirement account, in addition to being eligible for a pension after 20 years of active duty service.
Earn full tuition for higher education through the Post 9/11 GI Bill. Also, tuition assistance is available for continuing education.
Members of “Pershing’s Own” are given the Military Occupational Specialty (MOS) of 42S (forty two sierra), “Special Band Musician”. Personnel are promoted to the rank of Staff Sergeant (E-6) two months after completion of Basic Combat Training.
Permanent duty assignment to Fort Myer, VA, located near the heart of Washington, DC
Learn More About Army Benefits
- The U.S. Army Band’s audition and hiring process values diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- All applicants must currently hold U.S. Citizenship
- Civilian applicants must be 34 years of age or younger at the time of the audition
- All applicants must meet the standard requirements for enlistment in the United States Army
- Vacancies are available to qualified civilians, and military personnel of the grade E-6 and below. Military applicants above the grade of E-6 and/or having more than 10 years time in service must contact the Auditions Coordinator prior to applying to confirm eligibility.
- All applicants invited to the live audition will be given instructions to complete Military Entrance Processing to ensure they meet enlistment requirements for the United States Army prior to attending the live audition. Travel expenses will be paid for by the United States Army pending enlistment qualification and funding approval.