Live Event Video Creator
Apply before: July 1, 2022
Audition date(s): TBD
The full-time position of Live Event Video Creator for The United States Army Band is OPEN IMMEDIATELY and will remain open until filled.
The United States Army Band “Pershing’s Own” is the U.S. Army’s premier music organization located on Fort Myer in Arlington, VA, near the Pentagon and Washington, D.C.
This position is open to qualified civilian applicants and Active Duty E-6 and below.
Successful candidates will be a flexible, creative, team player with a strong desire to work collaboratively. Ability to work at a professional level and take direction from superiors while operating in a positive and consultative small-team environment is imperative. Must have strong organizational, problem solving, and time management skills. Must be dedicated to being proactive in improving processes, contributing ideas, and creating content that further builds relationships with our audiences. Work hours are flexible based on weekly mission requirements. Some evening/weekend missions will be required.
The Live Event Video Creator is responsible for directing and engineering live-streamed and live-to-tape concerts and conceptualizing and creating video content to be integrated into live performances. This position will also produce short PSAs and music videos and assist other staff video personnel on projects.
LIVE VIDEO BROADCAST MANAGEMENT (75%)
- Responsible for the creation and direction of broadcast quality live-streamed and live-to-tape concerts to include team leadership, video direction, assistant direction, technical direction, and/or engineering
- Coordinates with Audio and Stagecraft team to ensure high-quality products in all phases of video production, both technical and artistic
- Trains, manages, and coaches technical support staff to assist with camera operations, production assistance, and other duties as needed
- Coordinates and supports internal and external video production teams during large-scale live concerts by creating content for video playback, assisting with IMAG and playback integration, and post-production as needed
VIDEO CONTENT CREATION (25%)
- Conceptualizes, scripts, shoots, edits, and produces entertaining video products for internal and external audiences
- Controls quality in all phases of video production, both technical and artistic
- Plans, coordinates, and executes compelling and engaging video products across various departments
- Edits long-form broadcast content to create short video products for mass distribution via social media
- At least 2 years of experience creating engaging live and live-to-tape video content in a multi-cam environment with familiarity working as a director, assistant director, technical director, and/or engineer
- Working knowledge of live video production technology and infrastructure design, specifically for web-based distribution
- Experience in live event video content creation and playback utilizing projection and/or LED screens
- Knowledge of live and recorded video equipment and standards, basic IP-based camera networking preferred
- Strong technical and operational knowledge of and proven proficiency in shooting and editing video with industry standard equipment and software applications (Adobe Premiere Pro, Final Cut Pro X, AVID, Resolve, or similar)
- Ability to produce, shoot, direct, and edit cinematic mini documentaries and vignettes
- Competent technical abilities in field production and post-production including: green screen workflows, lighting/camera setup for field interviews, camera operations, and digital video editing
- Sound judgment, initiative, and the ability to work without supervision
- Detail oriented with high quality/accuracy and proofreading skills
- Ability to meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment
DESIRED BUT NOT REQUIRED
- Bachelor's degree in Television or Film Studies, Visual Communication, Graphic Design, Interactive Design, or a related field preferred
- Motion-graphic design experience related to broadcast, advertising, or social media
- Deep understanding of design principles including composition, visual hierarchy, color, and typography
- Ability to read music, play a musical instrument, and follow a score is strongly preferred
- Hand-held camera experience
- Acceptance of a position requires a minimum four-year enlistment in the U.S. Army
- Currently hold U.S. Citizenship
- Civilian applicants must be 17-34 years of age
- Ability to meet Army height/weight standards and maintain a generally fit appearance
- Meet medical, moral, and physical requirements for enlistment in the U.S. Army
Applications will be vetted and candidates will be informed no later than 10 business days after the application window closes. First round of interviews will be via virtual teleconference. Second round candidates will be invited to meet the team at Brucker Hall, home of The United States Army Band “Pershing’s Own” at 400 McNair Road, Fort Myer, Virginia 22211-1306
Second-round travel expenses for civilians will be paid by The U.S. Army pending enlistment qualification and funding approval. Military personnel should refer to their respective units to request travel funding.
TO APPLY, SUBMIT THE FOLLOWING ITEMS
- Cover letter
- Professional reel (or links for three video samples) that demonstrates your range of capabilities with clear descriptions of the role(s) you played in production
- Contact information for 3 professional references (no letters required)
Email links and PDF files for all documents including photos and video samples.
Military applicants must include their Enlisted Records Brief, or equivalent, and a Commander’s Letter of Intent to Release; E-6 applicants should also submit 3 most recent NCOERs
Please email application materials to Sergeant First Class Christopher Buckley
Contact the Auditions Coordinator
Applicants with questions or concerns regarding the LIVE EVENT VIDEO CREATOR position may contact Sergeant First Class Christopher Buckley
The annual starting salary for Staff Sergeant equates to $66, 899 without dependents and $74, 207 with dependents
Full medical and dental coverage
30 days paid vacation annually
The Blended Retirement System allows you to immediately begin contributing to a retirement account, in addition to being eligible for a pension after 20 years of active duty service.
Earn full tuition for higher education through the Post 9/11 GI Bill. Also, tuition assistance is available for continuing education.
Members of “Pershing’s Own” are given the Military Occupational Specialty (MOS) of 42S (forty two sierra), “Special Band Musician”. Personnel are promoted to the rank of Staff Sergeant (E-6) two months after completion of Basic Combat Training.
Permanent duty assignment to Fort Myer, VA, located near the heart of Washington, DC
Learn More About Army Benefits
- The U.S. Army Band’s audition and hiring process values diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- All applicants must currently hold U.S. Citizenship
- Civilian applicants must be 34 years of age or younger at the time of the audition
- All applicants must meet the standard requirements for enlistment in the United States Army
- Vacancies are available to qualified civilians, and military personnel of the grade E-6 and below. Military applicants above the grade of E-6 and/or having more than 10 years time in service must contact the Auditions Coordinator prior to applying to confirm eligibility.