Apply before: April 1, 2022
Audition date(s): TBD
The United States Army Band “Pershing’s Own” announces a vacancy for Music Arranger.
Located five minutes from downtown Washington, DC, The United States Army Band “Pershing’s Own” is the Army’s premier musical organization. “Pershing’s Own” provides musical support for the leadership of the United States, to include all branches of government, and to a wide spectrum of national and international events in support of Soldiers and their families, public diplomacy, community and international relations, recruiting initiatives, and music education programs. Our mission is to instill in our forces the will to fight and win, to foster the support of our citizens, and to promote our national interests at home and abroad.
Personnel are promoted to the rank of Staff Sergeant (E-6) upon assignment to “Pershing’s Own” and enjoy full military benefits including medical and dental care, 30 days paid vacation each year, permanent assignment to Fort Myer, and educational benefits such as military Tuition Assistance and the Post 9/11 G.I. Bill.
The Army Band’s arrangers provide original arrangements for The U.S. Army Concert Band, String Orchestra, and Full Orchestra, Ceremonial Band (marching), Blues (jazz), Downrange (pop/rock), SATB Chorus, and smaller ensembles (i.e. brass and woodwind quintet, small mixed vocal ensemble). Qualified candidates should have significant experience writing in a variety of musical styles, to include pop/commercial, Broadway, jazz, and classical. Qualified candidates must be able to demonstrate the ability to produce professional quality work within specific stylistic and orchestration guidelines and occasionally under tight deadlines. Proficiency in notation software is required (Finale preferred) and midi sequencing is preferred.
All applicants must meet basic enlistment standards for The US Army including:
- Age 17-34 at the time of the audition
- Currently hold U.S. Citizenship
- Meet height/weight standards
- Meet medical, moral and physical requirements. If you have any pre-existing medical conditions, recent surgeries, or criminal history, please consult with your local Army Recruiter prior to applying to confirm enlistment eligibility.
To Apply, Please Submit The Following
• Cover letter
• List of at least 2 references with contact information
• Portfolio – Samples should cover a variety of styles, genres, and instrumentations based on the descriptions of the ensembles in the job description. Selections of your choice should include (but not be limited to):
o One piece in a commercial style (jazz, pop, Broadway, or film music)
o One piece for a large ensemble such as concert band or orchestra
o One piece for a small chamber ensemble such as a brass or woodwind quintet, or string quartet, etc.
• Recordings of the sample works are appreciated but not required
• Current military applicants must also include their Enlisted Records Brief or equivalent, Commander's Letter of Intent to Release, and last two NCOERs if applicable.
After portfolios are reviewed, selected finalists will be given an arranging assignment resulting in an invitation to interview at The U.S. Army Band, Fort Myer, VA. Travel
Expenses for civilians will be paid for by The U.S. Army pending enlistment qualification and funding approval. Military personnel should refer to their respective units to request travel funding.
Please email application materials to Sergeant First Class Christopher Buckley.
Contact the Auditions Coordinator
Applicants with questions or concerns regarding the Music Arranger vacancy may contact Sergeant First Class Christopher Buckley.
The annual starting salary for Staff Sergeant equates to $66, 899 without dependents and $74, 207 with dependents
Full medical and dental coverage
30 days paid vacation annually
The Blended Retirement System allows you to immediately begin contributing to a retirement account, in addition to being eligible for a pension after 20 years of active duty service.
Earn full tuition for higher education through the Post 9/11 GI Bill. Also, tuition assistance is available for continuing education.
Members of “Pershing’s Own” are given the Military Occupational Specialty (MOS) of 42S (forty two sierra), “Special Band Musician”. Personnel are promoted to the rank of Staff Sergeant (E-6) two months after completion of Basic Combat Training.
Permanent duty assignment to Fort Myer, VA, located near the heart of Washington, DC
Learn More About Army Benefits
- The U.S. Army Band’s audition and hiring process values diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- All applicants must currently hold U.S. Citizenship
- Civilian applicants must be 34 years of age or younger at the time of the audition
- All applicants must meet the standard requirements for enlistment in the United States Army
- Vacancies are available to qualified civilians, and military personnel of the grade E-6 and below. Military applicants above the grade of E-6 and/or having more than 10 years time in service must contact the Auditions Coordinator prior to applying to confirm eligibility.