The U.S. Army Chorus
Soprano and Alto Vocalists
Apply before: March 23, 2022
Audition date(s): May 9, 2022
The United States Army Band “Pershing’s Own” announces vacancies for SOPRANO and ALTO VOCALISTS with the Army’s premier vocal ensemble, The United States Army Chorus.
From its inception in 1956 to the present, The U.S. Army Chorus has established and maintained a reputation of musical excellence. Beyond the traditional military music and patriotic standards, Army Chorus repertoire covers a broad spectrum of genres to include pop, Broadway, folk, and classical music.
Along with performances for presidents, visiting dignitaries and heads of state, the Chorus has appeared in our nation’s most prominent concert halls and music festivals. They have collaborated with such distinguished and diverse musical luminaries as Renee Fleming, Denyce Graves, Sylvia McNair, Kelly Pickler, Kenny Loggins, Lee Greenwood, Lou Rawls, and Miss America Naima Franklin, as well as the National Symphony, Atlanta Symphony, Cincinnati Pops, and Aspen Festival orchestras. Notable alumni include Charles Osgood, George Shirley, Steve Lawrence, Richard Stilwell, Martin Katz, and Alvy Powell.
Main duties include rehearsals and performances with The U.S. Army Chorus as ensemble member and soloist, as well as opportunities to be featured with the Concert Band, Orchestra, Strolling Strings, and other ensembles of The U.S. Army Band “Pershing’s Own”. Members also undertake collateral duties as needed in support of the day-to-day operations of the unit.
The U.S. Army Chorus is looking for singers who demonstrate the following:
- Professional-level mastery of your vocal instrument
- Musical versatility, demonstrating multiple stylistic abilities
- A dynamic musician, capable of blending into an ensemble and standing out as a soloist
In addition, all applicants must meet basic enlistment standards for the U.S. Army including:
- Age 17-34 at the time of the audition
- U.S. Citizen or other qualified resident
- General height/weight and physical fitness standards
- Other medical and moral requirements. If you have any pre-existing medical conditions, recent surgeries, or criminal history, please consult with your local Army Recruiter prior to applying to confirm enlistment eligibility.
Applicants may choose either to attend a live pre-screening or to submit pre-recorded materials. Any travel expenses for pre-screening will be the responsibility of the applicant and will not be paid for by the U.S. Army.
Dates and Locations
January 31, George Mason University, Fairfax, VA
March 6-8, Ripley Grier Studios, New York, NY
March 12, The Lyceum, Alexandria, VA
March 20-23, NC State University, Raleigh, NC
All applicants should prepare the following materials for the pre-screening. An accompanist will be provided at the live locations.
- One selection from among the following genres: “Golden Age” musical theatre, art song, opera, oratorio
- Two contrasting selections demonstrating commercial capability (e.g. pop, gospel, jazz, R&B, country, Latin, contemporary musical theatre, etc.)
- Unaccompanied performance of “The Star-Spangled Banner”
Call-backs for the semi-final and final round of auditions will be held on Monday May 9th, 2022, at Brucker Hall, home of The United States Army Band “Pershing’s Own” at 400 McNair Road, Fort Myer, Virginia 22211-1306. Travel expenses will be paid by the U.S. Army for invited civilian candidates who pass the pre-screening round for this audition pending enlistment qualification and funding approval. Military personnel should refer to their respective units to request travel funding. The audition will include the performance of both solo and ensemble prepared excerpts and sight-reading.
To apply, please submit the following
- One-page resume (PDF only), including your current email, home address, phone number, and birthdate.
- Current enlisted military applicants must also include their Enlisted Records Brief (or equivalent), Commander's Letter of Intent to Release, and last two NCOERs (if applicable.)
- Indicate which pre-screening option you prefer (specify live date/location or intent to submit recordings)
- For the pre-recorded screening option, include links to unedited video recordings of the listed repertoire.
Preferred Application Formats
- PDF files only for all documents
- Videos should be uploaded to a publicly accessible sharing site such as YouTube, and may be flagged as “unlisted” if desired
- Each excerpt should be submitted as a separate video link; creating a playlist of the excerpts is encouraged
Contact an Auditions Coordinator
Submit all application materials electronically and direct any questions or concerns to the Auditions Coordinator, Sergeant First Class Christopher Buckley
The annual starting salary for Staff Sergeant equates to $66, 899 without dependents and $74, 207 with dependents
Full medical and dental coverage
30 days paid vacation annually
The Blended Retirement System allows you to immediately begin contributing to a retirement account, in addition to being eligible for a pension after 20 years of active duty service.
Earn full tuition for higher education through the Post 9/11 GI Bill. Also, tuition assistance is available for continuing education.
Members of “Pershing’s Own” are given the Military Occupational Specialty (MOS) of 42S (forty two sierra), “Special Band Musician”. Personnel are promoted to the rank of Staff Sergeant (E-6) two months after completion of Basic Combat Training.
Permanent duty assignment to Fort Myer, VA, located near the heart of Washington, DC
Learn More About Army Benefits
- The U.S. Army Band’s audition and hiring process values diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- All applicants must currently hold U.S. Citizenship
- Civilian applicants must be 34 years of age or younger at the time of the audition
- All applicants must meet the standard requirements for enlistment in the United States Army
- Vacancies are available to qualified civilians, and military personnel of the grade E-6 and below. Military applicants above the grade of E-6 and/or having more than 10 years time in service must contact the Auditions Coordinator prior to applying to confirm eligibility.