The U.S. Army Strings
Apply before: February 3, 2021
Audition date: April 12, 2021
The United States Army Band “Pershing’s Own,” the U.S. Army’s premier musical organization, announces a vacancy for VIOLA with The U.S. Army Strings.
The U.S. Army Strings, a premier ensemble of the U.S. Armed Forces, provide a musical backdrop for many of the country’s most notable events. Their mission is to serve as musical ambassadors for high-level military and government events at home and abroad, as well as in concert for public audiences. The elite musicians that comprise this ensemble have been trained at the most prestigious music conservatories and universities in the country. This versatile ensemble performs as The U.S. Army Strolling Strings, mixed chamber ensembles, and The U.S. Army Orchestra.
The U.S. Army Strolling Strings are one of the most requested musical ensembles by our nation’s military leadership. Since its inception during the Eisenhower administration, the group has provided musical entertainment at the White House for every president. Missions include performing for the Department of Defense, the U.S. Capitol, the Supreme Court, kings, queens, and heads of state from countries worldwide. The Strolling Strings offer audiences the unique perspective of being amongst the musicians who elegantly move about the venue playing their instruments. The Strolling Strings offer a wide array of memorized repertoire, including patriotic, classical, international, jazz, Broadway, bluegrass, and exclusive music arrangements for special guests and events.
Auditions will be held at Brucker Hall, home of The United States Army Band “Pershing’s Own” at 400 McNair Road, Fort Myer, Virginia 22211-1306.
Travel expenses for civilians will be paid for by The U.S. Army pending enlistment qualification and funding approval. Military personnel should refer to their respective units to request travel funding. The audition will include the performance of prepared excerpts and sight-reading.
To Apply For The Vacancy Please Submit The Following Items:
- One-page resume
- Full-length photograph
- Military applicants must also include their Enlisted Records Brief, or equivalent, a Commander’s letter of intent, and last 2 NCOERs if applicable
- A high quality, unedited audio recording of the following selections:
- The exposition from the First Movement of a standard viola concerto, with or without piano accompaniment
- Berlioz- Roman Carnival Overture, Pickup to eight measures before Rehearsal 2 through beat two of Rehearsal 4
- Mendelssohn- Scherzo from A Midsummer Night’s Dream, Rehearsal B through the downbeat of Rehearsal D
- Strauss- Don Juan, Pickup to two measure before Rehearsal A through the downbeat of Rehearsal D
Preferred Application File Formats:
- PDF files for all documents including photos
- audio files should be recorded at a high sampling rate and saved in a format with minimal compression to better enhance sound quality
- if possible upload high quality audio files to a folder on Google Drive or Dropbox and share the link in your application email
- save each excerpt as a separate file unless specified otherwise in the vacancy posting
- ideally email all photos and documents as attachments in PDF format and then include the shared folder link to the audio files
- no ZIP files
All application materials must be submitted electronically to the Auditions Coordinator, Master Sergeant Timothy Sutfin
An audition repertoire packet will be sent to those selected and invited to a live audition.
Contact an Audition Coordinator
Applicants with questions or concerns regarding the VIOLA vacancy may contact: Master Sergeant Timothy Sutfin.
The annual starting salary for Staff Sergeant equates to $67,836 without dependents and $70,320 with dependents
Full medical and dental coverage
30 days paid vacation annually
The Blended Retirement System allows you to immediately begin contributing to a retirement account, in addition to being eligible for a pension after 20 years of active duty service.
Earn full tuition for higher education through the Post 9/11 GI Bill. Also, tuition assistance is available for continuing education.
Members of “Pershing’s Own” are given the Military Occupational Specialty (MOS) of 42S (forty two sierra), “Special Band Musician”. Personnel are promoted to the rank of Staff Sergeant (E-6) two months after completion of Basic Combat Training.
Permanent duty assignment to Fort Myer, VA, located near the heart of Washington, DC
Learn More About Army Benefits
- The U.S. Army Band’s audition and hiring process values diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- All applicants must currently hold U.S. Citizenship
- Civilian applicants must be 34 years of age or younger at the time of the audition
- All applicants must meet the standard requirements for enlistment in the United States Army
- Vacancies are available to qualified civilians, and military personnel of the grade E-6 and below. Military applicants above the grade of E-6 and/or having more than 10 years time in service must contact the Auditions Coordinator prior to applying to confirm eligibility.
- All applicants invited to the live audition will be given instructions to complete Military Entrance Processing to ensure they meet enlistment requirements for the United States Army prior to attending the live audition. Travel expenses will be paid for by the United States Army pending enlistment qualification and funding approval.